How do I apply for a residence permit for the Netherlands?

How you apply for your residence permit depends on several factors. 

Applying for a residence permit yourself

There are 2 scenarios when applying for a residence permit:

  • If, besides a residence permit, you also need an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV), you can apply for both at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin or in the country where you have been living for more than 3 months. If there is no Dutch embassy or consulate there, you can apply at the nearest one in a neighbouring country. This type of application is known as an admission and residence application (TEV).
  • If you only need a residence permit, you can apply to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) for this permit once you have arrived in the Netherlands.

Having your sponsor in the Netherlands apply for your residence permit

In many cases you will need a sponsor in order to come to the Netherlands. This could be a recognised employer but also an educational institution or a partner you are going to live with.

Your sponsor will need to submit an admission and residence application (TEV) to the Immigration and Nationalisation Service (IND) in the Netherlands.

Assessing your application

The IND will assess whether you meet all the requirements for a residence permit. The permit is valid for up to 5 years. 

If your application is rejected you can lodge an objection or an application for judicial review.

Collecting your MVV and residence permit

If you are granted a residence permit, you should make an appointment at the Dutch embassy or consulate within 3 months to collect your MVV (if necessary).

After arriving in the Netherlands you should collect your residence permit from an IND office.