Applying for a waiver for the civic integration obligation

Are you a non-EU citizen and wish to live in the Netherlands for an extended period or permanently? Then you are obliged to become officially ingeburgerd (integrated). In some cases, you can be granted a waiver for the inburgeringsplicht (civic integration obligation). For example if you are seriously unwell. Then you do not have to take the exam.

Last updated on 1 January 2022

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Taking a mandatory civic integration exam or NT2 language exam

If you are going to live in the Netherlands for an extended period or permanently you must follow a civic integration programme. This means you must complete a course and then take an exam. This could be an integration exam or a state examination in Dutch as a second language (NT2).

Possible waiver for civic integration programme if you are unwell

Do you have serious physical or mental problems? Are you unable to do the civic integration examination because of your illness or disability? In that case, you may be entitled to a waiver. You can apply for a waiver via the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs – DUO website.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Wet inburgering 2021, artikel 5

Besluit inburgering 2021, artikelen 2.7 en 2.8

Regeling inburgering 2021, hoofdstuk 2, afdeling 2

Found what you were looking for?