Applying to extend your civic integration process period

Are you a non-EU citizen and wish to live in the Netherlands for an extended period or permanently? If so, you are obliged to complete the inburgeren (civic integration) process. You have 3 years to complete the civic integration process. This is called the inburgeringstermijn (civic integration period). In certain cases, you may be given extra time to complete the civic integration process, for example if you are ill.

Last updated on 21 November 2022

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Conditions for being granted an extension to the civic integration period

You can request extra time for your civic integration in the following cases:

Applying to extend the integration period

Please contact Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs – DUO (education implementation service) to apply to extend the civic integration period.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Wet inburgering 2021, artikel 12

Besluit inburgering 2021, artikelen 4.3 en 4.4

Regeling inburgering 2021, artikel 4.1

Have you found what you were looking for?