Applying to extend your civic integration process period
Are you a non-EU citizen and wish to live in the Netherlands for an extended period or permanently? If so, you are obliged to complete the inburgeren (civic integration) process. You have 3 years to complete the civic integration process. This is called the inburgeringstermijn (civic integration period). In certain cases, you may be given extra time to complete the civic integration process, for example if you are ill.
Last updated on 21 November 2022
Conditions for being granted an extension to the civic integration period
You can request extra time for your civic integration in the following cases:
- you had to learn to read and write first;
- you are following an education programme in the Netherlands;
- you have been ill, or somebody in your family is ill;
- a family member has died;
- you have recently given birth;
- you have taken enough lessons and exams, but you have failed to pass your civic integration exam;
- you are having problems with your school or municipality. For example, because there was no space for you at school;
- other reasons prevent you from being able to complete the civic integration process in time.
Applying to extend the integration period
Please contact Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs – DUO (education implementation service) to apply to extend the civic integration period.