Can I get a correspondence address if I don’t have a fixed home address?

If you do not have a home address, as referred to in the Personal Records Database Act (BRP), you can register your details in the Personal Records Database under a correspondence address. This could be because you live in a care institution, women’s refuge, a vessel or vehicle, or because you are in prison.

A correspondence address is temporary

Correspondence addresses can only be used for a limited period. In many cases, the municipality will reach an agreement with you about how long you can be registered under a correspondence address. A correspondence address is an administrative address only; it is not where you live. For more information, please contact your municipality.

Registering under a correspondence address

A correspondence address is the address of a family member or someone you know where correspondence from official bodies can be sent. This includes election polling cards and letters from the Tax and Customs Administration. The person at that address must ensure that the correspondence is passed on to you personally. It is not possible to use a P.O. box or an address where nobody is living as a correspondence address. When you register under a correspondence address, the municipality will investigate whether you really have no fixed home address. The correspondence address you use must be a recognised address in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

Where to register under a correspondence address

You can register under a correspondence address at the population affairs department (afdeling Burgerzaken/Publiekszaken) of the municipality where the address is located. You must provide a written declaration of consent from the person who lives there. This can be done using a standard form that you can request from the municipality.
When you come to register your details in the Personal Records Database (BRP), you should bring with you:

  • a written declaration in which you state why you wish to use a correspondence address;
  • a valid identity document (for yourself);
  • a signed written declaration of consent from someone living at the correspondence address, such as the main occupant;
  • a valid identity document (or a copy of one) for that person.

Sometimes the municipality may also ask to see a rental contract or a contract of sale for the property. The municipality may also ask the person giving consent to attend in person.

Consequences for current occupants

A person using a property as a correspondence address is not considered an occupant of that property. If current occupants are concerned about the possible consequences of allowing their property to be used as a correspondence address – for housing benefit or other benefit, for instance – they should contact the relevant organisations before giving their consent.