How can I access Dutch public services online from a different EEA member state?

You can use your DigiD to access Dutch public services from a different country within the European Economic Area (EEA). If you do not have a DigiD, you can use another EEA-approved electronic identification (eID).

EU-approved eID login schemes

If you live or work in Spain, you can use your Spanish Cl@ve login details to access Dutch public services online. This is possible because Cl@ve has been approved at European level. The eIDs of the following EEA member states have also been approved:

  • Belgium
  • Croatia
  • Estonia
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Luxembourg
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Spain

This list of countries whose eIDs can be used to access Dutch public services online is growing all the time. If you have any questions about the approval status of the eID of the EEA member state where you live or work, see the overview of the organisations to contact in each EEA country

eIDAS rules no longer apply to UK from 1 January 2021

Since 1 January 2021 eIDAS rules no longer apply to the United Kingdom. eIDAS services for the UK do not work anymore. You do not have the option of logging in to a European website using a British eID. Nor will you be able to sign in to the website of a British organisation using a European eID.

European approval process for eIDs

The European Commission has to approve the use of electronic identification (eID) in other EEA member states. EEA member states that want their citizens to be able to use their eID in other EEA countries have to request approval. Other EEA member states then have 6 months to test the eID. The eID must, for example, comply with all the technical and security requirements in those countries.

If there are no problems, the EEA member states will issue a joint ‘statement of no objection’ to the European Commission. The European Commission checks if the whole process took place according to the rules and then gives its final approval. Other EEA member states then have 12 more months to adapt their systems so that foreign eIDs can be used in their countries.

This process follows the rules set out under European law in the Regulation on electronic identification and trust services (eIDAS Regulation).

Accessing online services provided by Dutch public organisations

Any public organisation that offers online services will require you to log in using DigiD or an approved European eID (login key). You will see a separate login button for EEA-approved eIDs with an EU flag symbol beside it.

You can use an EEA-approved eID to access to the services of the following organisations online:

  • the Social Insurance Bank (SVB)
  • the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (
  • the Central Judicial Collection Agency (CJIB)
  • the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV)
  • the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW)
  • pension funds
  • DUO
  • various municipal and provincial authorities.

Extra security to protect personal data

Government bodies are required to provide extra security to protect sensitive personal data. That’s why you can only access public services once you have linked your login details to your citizen service number (burgerservicenummer; BSN).

If you have several different approved eIDs, it does not matter which one you use – as long as you link the login details to your citizen service number.

Applying for an EU-approved eID

Whether you can apply for an EEA-approved eID depends on the country issuing the electronic identification. This is because there is no standard European eID. Each EEA member state determines whether it wants to allow its national eID to be used in other EEA countries. 

Each member state also decides who is entitled to a national eID in that country. In many cases, citizens who are born in that country or who live and/or work there are eligible for an eID. If you have any questions about this, please contact the relevant authority in the EEA member state in question. 

DigiD has not yet been approved at European level, but you can use DigiD to access online services provided by Dutch government organisations. You can find out whether you are entitled to a DigiD on the DigiD website.