When should I deregister from the Personal Records Database?

You should deregister from the Personal Records Database (BRP) as a resident if you live abroad for longer than 8 months within one year, even if this is not one continuous period. You must deregister from the BRP even if you are keeping your home in the Netherlands.

Deregistering from the municipality

You must deregister from the municipality you live in. You can do this 5 days (or fewer) before your departure (not earlier), in person. The municipality can at your request issue proof of deregistration. You may need this to register abroad.

Once you have deregistered from the BRP as a resident, your personal data will move to the non-residents part of the BRP, the Non-residents Records Database (RNI). This is for people who do not live in the Netherlands anymore, or who live in the Netherlands for less than 4 months.

Ask for proof of deregistration if you live abroad

If you live abroad and need proof of deregistration, you can apply for an international extract from the BRP. The extract states that you are a non-resident, and gives the date you left the Netherlands.

Apply for the extract from one of the following RNI-municipalities with a Non-residents Records Database:

  • Alkmaar
  • Almelo
  • Amsterdam
  • Breda
  • Doetinchem
  • Eindhoven
  • Goes
  • Groningen
  • The Hague
  • Heerlen
  • Leeuwarden
  • Leiden
  • Nijmegen
  • Rotterdam
  • Terneuzen
  • Utrecht
  • Venlo
  • Westland
  • Zwolle

The international extract is available in Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, French, German and English.

BRP tells government bodies that you’ve moved

When you deregister, the BRP informs government bodies like the Tax and Customs Administration and pension funds about your new address abroad.

If your address abroad changes, inform one of the RNI-municipalities. It will note the change of address in the RNI and inform government and other organisations.