Where can I get help if I am being forced to work as a prostitute?

If you are a victim of forced prostitution, there are a number of agencies you can turn to for help or assistance. You can always go to the police for help too.

Agencies that provide help and shelter for victims of forced prostitution

There are a number of agencies that help victims of forced prostitution. Some organisations offer legal aid, others offer medical and psychological help, or provide shelter for victims. For information, advice or a referral to the right organisation, get in touch with CoMensha. Everything you tell them is confidential.

If you want to find out more about the rights of human trafficking victims and the organisations and schemes that help them, go to Wegwijzermensenhandel.nl (in Dutch).

Reporting forced prostitution

You should always report forced prostitution and human trafficking to the police. You can do this even if you are living or working in the Netherlands illegally. If that is the case, you can take advantage of a scheme that will allow you to obtain a temporary residence permit (verblijfsregeling Mensenhandel). This is how the scheme works:

  • You have 3 months to recover and think about cooperating in the prosecution of the offender or offenders. This is called the reflection period.
  • During these 3 months you can stay in the Netherlands legally.
  • If you decide to cooperate, you will be given a temporary B8.3 residence permit.
  • During your reflection time you are entitled to shelter, social security benefits and medical care.
  • You may work in the Netherlands for as long as your residence permit is valid.

Reporting human trafficking anonymously

A criminal complaint can be filed with the police anonymously only in exceptional, threatening situations. However, it is always possible to make an anonymous report to Report Crime Anonymously (Meld Misdaad Anoniem). Reports by witnesses are crucial in combating human trafficking. Your anonymous report will be forwarded to the police, who can then conduct a targeted investigation. For the offender to be convicted, the police will need you to file a criminal complaint.