Education for the children of Ukrainian refugees
- Children from Ukraine have the right to education in the Netherlands. Parents register their child at a local school. Sometimes the municipal authority can help with this, for instance if the family are still living at a reception centre.
- When the parents register their child, the school looks at the options available, together with the parents. This may include special reception classes for newcomers at a school with experience in helping refugee children.
- Municipal authorities help parents in temporary reception centres to find schooling for their children. Parents are free to register their child at the school of their choice.
Step by step: education for children from Ukraine
- Step 1: schools and special facilities for newcomers provide initial support for children in a safe and supportive setting.
- Step 2: children follow a special lesson plan. This always includes Dutch language classes to help children settle in as quickly as possible.
Help a school near you
Some schools welcome support from local residents. If you would like to help a school near you, contact its head teacher or school board directly.