Applying for a zeebrief (Certificate of Registry for pleasure crafts)

Are you going on an international trip with your pleasure craft? For example: your motorboat, yacht or jet-ski? It would then be a good idea to apply for a zeebrief (Certificate of Registry), although it is not mandatory. You can apply for a zeebrief at the Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport – ILT (Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate).  

Last updated on 14 November 2022

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Proof of citizenship for your pleasure craft 

zeebrief is like a passport. It  is proof of citizenship for your pleasure craft. When you have a zeebrief for your pleasure craft you will  then be able to fly the Dutch flag on your vessel. You can also use the zeebrief to show that you are the owner of the vessel.   

A zeebrief is not proof that you are entitled to operate the pleasure craft outside the Netherlands. To do this, you need an International Certificate of Competence (ICC). When qualifying for a Small Licence or Pleasure Boat Licence you automatically attain an ICC. 

Zeebrief applications 

The length of your vessel (longer or shorter than 24 metres) determines how you must apply for a zeebrief.  You can find out which steps you need to take to obtain a Certificate of Registry for your pleasure craft on the ILT website.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)


Found what you were looking for?