Waiver of tuition fees for asylum seekers

For some courses in middelbaar beroepsonderwijs – MBO (secondary vocational education) or voortgezet algemeen volwassenenonderwijs – VAVO (adult education) programmes tuition fees are paid. Are you a foreign citizen who has applied for asylum in the Netherlands and are awaiting a decision on your application? Do you hold a W-document (Foreign Nationals Identity Document) or a residence endorsement sticker in your passport? In that case, you can submit a request not to pay lesgeld (tuition fees). This is called 'buiteninvorderingstelling' (waiver of claims).

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Conditions for a waiver of tuition fees

To be eligible for a waiver of tuition fees, you must meet certain conditions. For example, you must be legally resident in the Netherlands. You can find all the conditions for applying for a waiver of tuition fees on the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs – DUO (education implementation service) website.

Applying for a waiver of tuition fees

You can apply for a waiver of tuition fees from DUO. Use the form Aanvraag buiteninvorderingstelling lesgeld (application form for the remission of tuition fees) (in Dutch).

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Les- en cursusgeldwet

Beleidsregel ‘Buiteninvorderingstelling lesgeld asielzoekers en bepaalde categorieën vreemdelingen’ ex artikel 9b Les- en cursusgeldwet