Applying for voluntary surviving dependants’ insurance (ANW)

Everyone living or working in the Netherlands is automatically insured under the Algemene nabestaandenwet – ANW (Surviving Dependants Act). This insurance stops when you start living or working outside the Netherlands. You can choose to pay voluntary contributions to the Sociale Verzekeringsbank  – SVB (social insurance bank) to cover your ANW insurance  Your surviving dependants can then claim an ANW-uitkering (survivor or orphan's benefit) upon your death.

Last updated on 28 December 2021

Eligibility for paying voluntary ANW insurance contributions

If you wish to pay voluntary ANW insurance contributions, you must meet certain conditions. For example, you must apply to pay voluntary contributions within 1 year of going to live or work outside the Netherlands. Please consult the SVB website to find out about eligibility for paying voluntary contributions.

Applying for voluntary ANW insurance

Please contact the SVB to find out how much you need to pay in voluntary contributions. The SVB must approve your application.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

General Law on survivors’ pensions

Found what you were looking for?