Taking out voluntary insurance against invalidity (WIA-verzekering)

Do you provide domestic care or services? Are you stopping work for a short period of time? Or are you going to work abroad? You will not necessarily be insured if you become ill or disabled and cannot work as a result. If you then only earn 65% or less of your old salary after 2 years of being ill, you will not be eligible for a WIA-uitkering (invalidity benefit). You can choose to take out optional WIA-verzekering (invalidity insurance). This is useful if you cannot work for a longer period of time and you want to be insured against loss of income.

Last updated 10 November 2021

Eligibility for WIA-verzekering

Are you ill? Or do you have a disability? Has this has prevented you from working for the last 2 years? If you have taken out WIA-verzekering (in Dutch) you are then eligible for a WIA-uitkering. You can apply for WIA-verzekering in the following situations: 

Applying for WIA-verzekering

You can apply for WIA-verzekering through the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employment Insurance Agency).

WIA-uitkering (invalidity benefit)

You can find out more about the WIA-uitkering at the UWV website.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Wet werk en inkomen naar arbeidsvermogen, paragraaf 2.2

Found what you were looking for?