Capital transfer tax

You pay capital transfer tax (also known as conveyance duty), when you become the owner of a property. You also pay capital transfer tax if you acquire rights to immoveable property, like building rights or ground lease rights. The duty may also apply to certain share transfers. The government uses the revenue for things like roads and health care.