As a self-employed person working in the Netherlands, when do I need to provide notification?

Foreign workers’ duty to notify only applies to self-employed people working in certain designated sectors.

Assessment criteria for designated sectors

To decide what sector you work in, check the work you do in the Netherlands against the criteria below. You can look up the sector that covers your work on the Standard Industrial Classification (SBI) website (in Dutch).

The sector in which you work will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:

  • the nature of the work actually performed;  
  • the activities and work as described in the service contract, works contract, or transport agreement;
  • the industrial classification code assigned to the self-employed person on the basis of their economic activities; and
  • the location where the work is performed.

Sectors in which self-employed persons have a duty to notify

You should provide notification if you work in one of the professional or industrial sectors or sub-sectors classified as follows in the SBI:

A Agriculture, forestry and fishing, industry and classification

  • 01 Agriculture, hunting and support activities
  • 0312 Freshwater fishing

C Manufacturing, industries and groups

  • 101 Slaughterhouses and processing of meat
  • 102 Processing of fish
  • 103 Processing of potatoes, vegetables and fruit
  • 23 Manufacture of other non-metallic mineral products
  • 24 Manufacture of basic metals
  • 25 Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment
  • 27 Manufacture of electrical equipment (electric motors, batteries, domestic appliances, etc.)
  • 28 Manufacture of machinery and equipment
  • 30 Manufacture of other transport equipment
  • 33 Repair and installation of machinery and equipment

F Construction

H Transportation and storage, the group

  • 494 Freight transport by road, unless the temporary assignment consists only of transport of goods through the Netherlands without loading or unloading them in the Netherlands

I Accommodation and food service activities

N Renting and leasing of tangible goods and other business support services, the groups:

  • 812 Cleaning activities
  • 813 Landscape service activities

Q Human health and social work activities, the groups:

  • 861 Hospitals including mental health and substance abuse hospitals with accommodation
  • 871 Residential nursing care
  • 872 Residential and day care for mental retardation
  • 873 Residential and day care for the disabled and elderly
  • 879 Social assistance with residential care to children and other persons with accommodation
  • 881 Social work activities without accommodation for the elderly and disabled
  • 889 Social work activities without accommodation (not for elderly and disabled)