Equal rights for LGBTIQ+'s
Around the world, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer persons and persons of another gender and sexual orientation (LGBTIQ+) face discrimination and violence. But everyone should have the right to be themselves. It doesn't matter who you are or whom you love. That is why the Netherlands promotes equal rights for LGBTIQ+ people worldwide.
Improving the position of LGBTIQ+ people worldwide
Homosexuality is a criminal offence in over 70 countries around the world. In some countries it carries the death penalty. LGBTIQ+ persons are often afraid to report violence to the police. They are worried they will be identified as LGBTIQ+.
The Netherlands is committed to:
- abolishing the criminalisation of homosexuality;
- fighting anti-LGBTIQ+ discrimination;
- promoting the social acceptance of LGBTIQ+ persons.
Dutch efforts to promote equal rights for LGBTIQ+ persons worldwide
Internationally, the Netherlands promotes equal rights for LGBTIQ+ persons in various ways by:
- working with other countries in the Equal Rights Coalition (an international coalition that promotes equal rights for LGBTIQ+ persons);
- ensuring equal rights for LGBTIQ+ persons is a top priority at international organisations, including the United Nations (UN), the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OCSE), the Council of Europe (CoE) and the European Union (EU);
- entering into strategic partnerships with organisations that support local LGBTIQ+ organisations;
- maintaining contact with local LGBTIQ+ organisations through the embassy network and supporting them in various ways;
- funding projects that promote equal rights for LGBTIQ+ persons through the Human Rights Fund. For an up-to-date overview of projects see the Human Rights Report which is submitted to parliament each year;
- marking the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHOT) on 17 May each year. On that day many embassies draw attention to the importance of equal rights for LGBTIQ+ people.
LGBTI equality in the Netherlands
Factsheet about the governmental LGBTI Equality policy in The Netherlands. The factsheet sketches the current legal state of art, ...
Gender & LGBTI Equality Policy Plan 2018-2021: Putting principles into practice
The Dutch Gender & LGBTI Equality Policy Plan 2018 - 2021 shows the government's commitment for equal treatment, for equal ...