I have a WLZ care needs assessment. Do I have to pay towards the costs of my care?

If you are aged 18 or older and you have a care needs assessment for long-term residential care you will have to pay towards the costs of your care, even if you choose to be cared for at home.

How much will you have to pay?

There are two levels of own contribution towards the costs of residential care:

Low contribution

In 2016 the low contribution is a minimum of €159.80 and a maximum of €838.60 per month.

High contribution

This is a maximum of €2,301.40 a month in 2016.

You are usually charged the low contribution for the first six months. After that, whether you pay the low or high own contribution depends on your personal circumstances (income, assets, age, household composition etc.).

The Central Administrative Office (CAK) will calculate how much you have to pay.