Where can I live if I need care?

Even if you need care, you can often continue to live at home. There are several options. Which one you choose depends on your personal circumstances. If you need constant care, you can move into a nursing home.

Nursing and other personal care at home

Home care can be provided to patients with a disability or chronic condition, like dementia. Home care comes in many forms, including care provided by a nurse. The district nurse can help you arrange home care. Home care is covered by your health insurance. For more information, contact your neighbourhood social support team, your municipality or your doctor.

Domestic help and other support

You can apply to your municipality for support like domestic help, assistance with activities of daily living or medical devices, like a wheelchair. This support is provided under the Social Support Act (WMO 2015). Every municipality has a social support desk or neighbourhood social support team where you can go if you have any questions.

Elderly-friendly neighbourhoods

Elderly-friendly neighbourhoods have a sufficient stock of ‘lifetime homes’ and accessible housing for people with care needs. There is also a health centre nearby with a doctor, a pharmacy, a home care organisation and a caretaker. In an elderly-friendly neighbourhood you can get care at home day and night. This allows you to live independently for as long as possible, even if you have a disability.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing for older and/or vulnerable people, such as serviced apartments, offer care and other services to their residents. This includes a medical alert system, caretaker, domestic help and a home care office. Some sheltered accommodation also offers 24-hour care. In sheltered housing:

  • you live independently in a self-contained home;
  • you pay rent for your accommodation;
  • you will sign separate contracts for your housing and care.

Assisted living

Assisted living or extra-care sheltered housing is generally located on the premises of a care home. In extra-care sheltered housing:

  • you live independently in a self-contained home;
  • you pay rent for your accommodation;
  • you can use the care home’s services and facilities, such as emergency medical assistance, meals and activities.

You will have to pay service costs for the services and facilities you use. You will also have to pay towards the costs of any care you receive.

If you need more care

Even if you need 24-hour care it may be possible for you to continue living at home. If this is not practicable or desirable, you can move to a care home that can provide round-the-clock care. You will need to have a WLZ care needs assessment for long-term residential care. You can apply for this assessment with the Care Needs Assessment Centre (CIZ).

Long-term residential care is covered by the Long-term care act (WLZ).