Which days are official public holidays in the Netherlands?
Here is a list of official public holidays in the Netherlands in 2021.
Public holidays 2021
- New Year’s Day: Friday 1 January 2021
- Good Friday: Friday 2 April 2021
- Easter Sunday and Easter Monday: Sunday 4 and Monday 5 April 2021
- King’s Day: Tuesday 27 April 2021
- Liberation Day: Wednesday 5 May 2021
- Ascension Day: Thursday 13 May 2021
- Whit Sunday and Whit Monday: Sunday 23 May and Monday 24 May 2021
- Christmas Day and Boxing Day: Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 December 2021
Public holidays: do I have the right to a day off?
There is no law that says employees must be given a day off work on certain public holidays. So no one has a legal right to a day off on a public holiday. Your collective labour agreement or employment contract will tell you if you have the day off on public holidays.
Extension of periods ending on holidays or weekends
Public holidays may have an impact if you are required to make a payment or submit a response within a certain period (in Dutch). If such a period set by law ends on a Saturday, a Sunday or an official public holiday, the period will be extended until the next day that is not a Saturday, a Sunday or an official public holiday.