Which days are official public holidays in the Netherlands?
Here is a list of official public holidays in the Netherlands in 2023.
Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands
Public holidays 2023
- Nieuwjaarsdag (New Year’s Day): Sunday 1 January 2023
- Goede vrijdag (Good Friday): Friday 7 April 2023
- Eerste en tweede paasdag (Easter Sunday and Easter Monday): Sunday 9 and Monday 10 April 2023
- Koningsdag (King’s Day): Thursday 27 April 2023
- Bevrijdingsdag (Liberation Day): Friday 5 May 2023
- Hemelvaartsdag (Ascension Day): Thursday 18 May 2023
- Eerste en tweede pinksterdag (Whit Sunday and Whit Monday): Sunday 28 and Monday 29 May 2023
- Eerste en tweede kerstdag (Christmas Day and Boxing Day): Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 December 2023
Public holidays: do I have the right to a day off?
There is no law that says employees must be given a day off work on certain public holidays. So no one has a legal right to a day off on a public holiday. Your Collectieve Arbeidsovereenkomst – CAO (collective labour agreement) or employment contract will tell you if you have the day off on public holidays.
Extension of periods ending on holidays or weekends
Public holidays may have an impact if you are required to make a payment or submit a response within a certain period (in Dutch). If such a period set by law ends on a Saturday, a Sunday or an official public holiday, the period will be extended until the next day that is not a Saturday, a Sunday or an official public holiday.